A dental crown is one of the most common and practical ways of fixing a cracked, broken, or missing tooth. The crown is shaped like a “cap” and customized to fit over your tooth accurately. It helps in restoring appearance, provide support and strength to teeth’s structural integrity. Crowns fully cover and encase the part of your teeth that is visible, from the gum line to cusps. It also provides a level of support to your teeth, your smile, and gives you self-confidence.
What are the uses of dental crowns?
Dental crowns are used to treat specific dental conditions, like:
- Protecting breaking of a weak tooth
- Binding broken pieces of a tooth
- Covering a large filling where most of the tooth has decayed
- Covering a dental implant
- Making it a cosmetic fix, e.g., chipped tooth, etc
- To fix discolored or stained teeth or misshapen teeth
What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge is a crown which is placed securely on either side by two crowns on the adjacent, filed down teeth. The bridges are usually made of porcelain, gold, alloys, or a combination of these materials. It has two main parts, such as anchor crowns and pontics (artificial teeth). With healthy and strong teeth, gums, and jaws, the bridges can last for long. There are certain kinds of dental bridges. The dentist will select the best one for you.
How to care for dental bridges?
Taking proper care of your bridges can ensure that they last for quite some time. We advise patients to follow the steps below to care for dental bridges:
- It is advised to prefer eating soft foods until you get accustomed to the bridge.
- Maintaining good and regular oral hygiene
- Brush at least twice and floss at least once a day
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash
- Get the bridge regularly checked as per the scheduled appointments and get your teeth professionally cleaned every six months by your dentist.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us, and our highly experienced dentists would be happy to help.